9 Story Media Group is a leading creator, producer and distributor of kids and family focused intellectual property. Its award-winning animation studio, Brown Bag Films, is recognized around the world for best-in-class brands such as Doc McStuffins, Daniel Tiger’s Neighbourhood, Octonauts, Wild Kratts, Peter Rabbit and The Magic School Bus: Rides Again. With facilities in Toronto, Dublin and Manchester, the 9 Story Media group of companies employs almost 700 creative and corporate staff.
We are looking for an experienced, dynamic Financial Accountant to join our team in the Toronto head office. The ideal candidate will be a designated Accountant with experience or a keen interest in the entertainment industry.
Reporting to the Controller, the Financial Accountant will be responsible for:
- Accounting for distribution revenue recognition by title and revenue stream (including SVOD and linear, royalties, consumer products, YouTube, digital and other revenues);
- Calculating commissions, withholding taxes, distribution and other expenses in accordance with contractual arrangements by title;
- Accounting for participation and amortization expenses by title and revenue stream;
- Accounting and tracking of dubbing costs and other distribution expenses by title;
- Preparing consolidated film models, in accordance with IFRS;
- Maintain detailed revenue recognition schedules for each revenue stream by title;
- Monthly revenue reconciliation with Group Controller and Financial Analyst;
- Assist with month end, quarter end, and annual financial statement closes at a legal entity and consolidated level (including the preparation of audit binders);
- Perform thorough financial statement accounts review on a monthly basis to ensure the completeness, existence, accuracy and classification of the general ledger;
- Review contractual arrangements and ensure that all transactions are being recorded in the legal entity on a consistent basis, in accordance with IFRS and the group’s accounting policies;
- Regularly review outstanding receivables and contracts for billing trigger points and assist with the invoicing process;
- Maintain and update the Distribution Tracker;
- Responsible for the preparation of the monthly YouTube report;
- Tracking distribution advance funding commitments paid/payable due to third party and related party companies;
- Tracking the recoupment/recovery of distribution advances paid – on both accrual and cash basis;
- Support the revenue/sales forecasting process;
- Reconcile and maintain a schedule of intercompany balances with other legal entities within the consolidated group of companies on a monthly basis;
- Preparing distribution sales, profit participation and royalty reporting to third party stakeholders – on both accrual and cash basis;
- Audit assistance and other special projects as required by finance management;
- Performing or assisting with such other duties as required.
The Financial Accountant will have the following Qualifications:
- 3+ years’ experience as a Financial Accountant with srong knowledge of revenue recognition, IFRS and above average analytical skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and a CPA designation (or near completion)
- Strong knowledge if IFRS
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Word and Google Suite
- Above average verbal and written communication skills coupled with a string team work ethic
- Excellent analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, multi-tasking and execution skills
If you have the above qualifications and are looking to join a dynamic growing organization focused on bringing quality programming into the homes of families all over the world then this is the job for you!
Applicants need to be legally eligible to work in Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.
Alternatively applications can be sent to email@example.com