9 Story Media Group is a leading creator, producer and distributor of kids and family focused intellectual property. Its award-winning animation studio, Brown Bag Films, is recognized around the world for best-in-class brands such as Doc McStuffins, Daniel Tiger’s Neighbourhood, Octonauts, Wild Kratts, Peter Rabbit and The Magic School Bus: Rides Again. With facilities in Toronto, Dublin and Manchester, the 9 Story Media group of companies employs almost 700 creative and corporate staff.
We are looking for an experienced, dynamic Senior Accounting Analyst to join our team in the Toronto head office. The ideal candidate will be a designated Accountant with experience or a keen interest in the entertainment industry.
Reporting to the Controller, the Senior Accounting Analyst will be responsible for:
- Monthly revenue recognition accounting by title and revenue stream (i.e. license fees, royalties, consumer products, digital, etc.), including the maintenance of detailed supporting schedules;
- Prepare and review monthly revenue reconciliation for the consolidated group of companies with Group Controller and Financial Analyst;
- Modify and/or potentially re-build consolidated film model to meet the changing needs of our business;
- Maintain the consolidated film model in accordance with IFRS to account for amortization, royalties and profit participation expenses by associated title and revenue stream;
- Assist with month end, quarter end, and annual closes at a legal entity and consolidated level with a particular focus on the accounting and eliminating entries for our US subsidiary and future acquisitions;
- Perform thorough financial statement account review on a monthly basis to ensure the completeness, existence, accuracy and classification of the general ledger;
- Ensure that all transactions are being recorded consistently and in the proper legal entity in accordance with IFRS and the Company’s accounting policies;
- Review outstanding receivables and contract payment terms to ensure billing is current and assist with the invoicing process when necessary;
- Prepare reports to track dubbing/versioning costs and other distribution-related expenses by title;
- Track distribution advance funding commitments paid/payable to third parties and related companies;
- Track the recoupment/recovery of distribution advances paid – on both accrual and cash basis;
- Work with Royalty Accountant in preparing royalty and profit participation reports to third party stakeholders on an accrual and cash basis;
- Assist with year-end audit (including the preparation of audit binders, sales forecast process, and other special projects as required.
The Financial Accountant will have the following Qualifications:
- 3-5 years solid accounting experience with a strong technical knowledge of IFRS, including revenue recognition;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and a CPA designation (or near completion);
- Ability to multi-task and succeed in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented work environment;
- Experience in media/entertainment or other creative environment is a definite plus;
- Advanced Excel user with modeling skills is a must have (i.e. pivot tables, v-lookups, indexing, complex formulas, etc.);
- Comfortable using Word, PowerPoint and Google Suite;
- Previous experience with Microsoft Dynamics a plus;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team;
- Other important attributes: strong attention to detail, willingness to roll up sleeves to get the job done, excellent analytical skills, ability to prioritize work load and plan ahead.
If you have the above qualifications and are looking to join a dynamic growing organization focused on bringing quality programming into the homes of families all over the world then this is the job for you!
Applicants need to be legally eligible to work in Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.
Alternatively applications can be sent to email@example.com