The Production Accountant will support a wide variety of production content and oversee the accounting on multiple in-house productions. The chosen candidate will work closely with the line producer and production manager and be responsible for all production and associated cost reporting and accounting, managing production payroll, as well as various accounting duties within the department.
Key Areas of responsibilities:
- Monitor production budgets, analyze costs and expenditures, analyze cost reports and forecast Estimated Final Costs
- Work with production to gather and maintain appropriate union / non-union start paperwork, deal memos, contracts and timesheets for processing
- Process bi-weekly union and non-union production payroll
- Manage production petty cash and AP processes
- Process bill-backs of corporate costs
- Reconcile and analyze balance sheet accounts
- Assist with financial month end close and daily accounting activity on tight deadlines
- Review/audit expense reports ensuring compliance with the company policy. Escalate requests and issues to the appropriate party in a timely basis
- Calculate CAVCO, OPSTC, OFFTC, and OCASE tax credits
- Deliver breakdown of Costs for CRTC and OMDC
- Compile information for production company audits.
- Review HST returns
- Book adjusting entries to correct prior periods
- Preparation of ad hoc production company financial analysis as requested by management
- Prepare production company information for inclusion in quarterly reporting, including revenue recognition according to the appropriate financial accounting framework
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Possess outstanding problem-solving skills and enjoys working in a challenging, fast-paced environment
- Be able to analyze and interpret new information and situations effectively
- Possess a demonstrated attention to detail
- Meet or exceed deadlines through meticulous planning and multi-tasking
Required Experience/Professional Skills:
- Minimum of 2-3 years of combined production and accounting experience.
- Designated or working towards a professional accounting designation (CPA) preferred.
- Experience in film or TV production and knowledge of tax, union, guild and relevant government regulations.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the production process and experience with budgets and weekly cost reports.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in performing all essential duties.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail and highly motivated/proactive.
- Knowledge and experience with EP software processing an asset.
- Proficiency with Excel is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as analytical skills.
- The ability to work independently with a high degree of accuracy and manage time effectively; manage work under pressure and manage tight deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills and able to handle multiple requests in order of priority.
Why work with us?
Perks! Perks! Perks! Not only is Brown Bag Films an amazing place full of artists, animators and creators from all corners of the industry, but we focus on helping staff grow and develop in their careers and make them long time team members. Along with a great work environment, we offer first-rate health + dental benefits, summer hours, paid Health and Wellness Days, vacation periods that multiply with tenure, and more! We may love animation, but we love our employees even more!
Our Toronto office can be found in the cool and trendy Liberty Village with over 300 artists working on award-winning animated children’s content. You will benefit from a competitive compensation package, interesting work and a fun/supportive work environment.
Applicants need to be legally eligible to work in Canada.
Please Apply Here
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.
If you experience technical difficulties during your application process you may also submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org